International Students

Federal regulations and University of Michigan policy severely limit the types of financial assistance available to international students. University admissions policies require that students with F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, and G-series visas have enough resources to meet their expenses throughout their stay at U-M; students with these visas are not eligible for federal student aid. However, some non-U.S. citizens may be eligible for need-based financial aid programs (see below). A paper copy of this information is also available here.

If you are an international student who is eligible for need-based aid, see the information for New & Prospective Undergraduates or Current Undergraduates to find out how to apply.

On this page



The university offers a short-term, low-interest loan for international students who are enrolled full-time at the University of Michigan. It should be used only as a last resort to provide funding in emergency situations. Prior examples have included the need to travel home immediately due to a family crisis or a national circumstance requiring the student to return home. Because this is a loan program and the funds must be repaid, the long-range solution must include identifying sources of funds to repay the loan. Details of the program are listed below.

U-M International Student Loan Program
Sponsor and How to Apply
  • Sponsor:  U-M Office of Financial Aid (OFA)
  • How to applyContact OFA to complete an International Student Loan application and attach all documentation requested. Documentation includes a budget sheet, proof of the emergency circumstances, and demonstrated ability to meet the majority of attendance costs. 
  • Students will be notified in a timely manner of their eligibility for the loan, usually within one week after submitting the application.
Eligible Borrower and Loan Amount The borrower must:
  • Be an international student attending the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor full-time (12 credit hours per term for undergraduates; 8 hours per term for graduate students)
  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Be experiencing an unanticipated financial crisis during the period in which the loan is requested.  Documentation of the crisis is required and includes a budget sheet, proof of the emergency and demonstrated ability to meet the standard cost of attendance. (An unanticipated financial crisis does NOT include an increase in tuition, an increase in need because of change in family size or an increase in living costs because of inflation.)
  • Must document ability to meet the majority of attendance costs
  • The amount of the loan will be determined by the need of the student, but in no case can it exceed $1,500.
Loan Terms, Interest Rates, and Repayment Terms
  • An annual interest rate of 3% will accrue on the loan beginning on the day the student receives the loan and ending when the loan has been paid in full.
  • The repayment date of all loans originating in the fall and winter terms will be negotiated with the student, but it will not be extended beyond August 1 of the academic year in which the Loan originates; loans originating during the spring and/or summer terms must be repaid by December 1. 
  • Students may receive only one U-M International Student Loan per academic year.
  • Students must not have outstanding University Loans in excess of $2,500 (this includes any combination of Emergency Loans, University Loans, and International Loans).

 (return to top of page)


For more information concerning financial aid and private scholarships for international students, we suggest that you contact:

If you have already been admitted to the University of Michigan, you should also contact your U-M school/college or department for other possible funding sources.

Some U.S. lenders will provide private education loans for international students who have a qualified U.S. co-signer. Some lenders require that the student have a Social Security number prior to applying (Wells Fargo and Citizens Bank do not require this).

Private loan program for students from India: Global Student Loan Corporation, in association with HSBC, offers a student loan program to students from India to attend U.S. schools. See to find out the loan terms and conditions. U-M has not endorsed this program, but we are making the information available to you.



A student who is a non-U.S. citizen might qualify for need-based student financial aid programs under the following conditions:

 The student is a U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island).

 The student is a U.S. permanent resident with an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551 or I-551C).

 The student is an eligible non-citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security/U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) showing one or more of the following designations:

  • Refugee
  • Asylum Granted
  • Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending
  • Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
  • Victims of Human Trafficking T-visa (T-2, T-3, T-4, etc.) Holder
  • Parolee (The student must be paroled into the United States for at least one year and must be able to provide evidence from the Dept. of Homeland Security/USCIS that he or she in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and intends to become a citizen or permanent resident.)

Eligibility notes: 

  1. If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you are not eligible for federal student aid.
  2. If you are in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you are not eligible for federal student aid.
  3. Persons with G-series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible. For more information about other types of visas that are not acceptable, check with your school's financial aid office.
  4. Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Palau are eligible only for Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs) and Federal Work-Study; contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.
  5. An Authorization for Parole document alone is not sufficient for financial aid.

 (return to top of page)

SITE MAPDISCLAIMERFEDERAL SCHOOL CODE 002325CSS PROFILE CODE 1839© 2015 Regents University of Michigan
Office of Financial Aid * 2500 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316 * Tel 734-763-6600 * Fax 734-647-3081 *