Your Student Account and eBill

U-M Student Financial Services, part of the U-M Business & Finance Division, maintains students’ university accounts and issues student bills. Since you will be responsible for making sure that your university bills are paid on time each term, you should monitor your student account, check your balance frequently, and become familiar with the way your financial aid appears on your account. This page provides information that will help you in that process.

On this page



University of Michigan student accounts are maintained by Student Financial Services. In the middle of every month in which there has been activity on your account (e.g., charges, deposits, and payments), Student Financial Services sends an email notification to your umich email account to let you know that an electronic account statement (bill) is available for you to view on Wolverine Access. Your bill shows the activity that has occurred since your previous statement.


Any financial aid you have received that is administered by the Office of Financial Aid (i.e., scholarships, grants, and loans) will appear on your account and will be applied directly to your charges, usually during the first month of the term. Other aid, such as Michigan Competitive Scholarships, private scholarships, and Michigan Education Trust contracts, will also be applied directly to charges on your account and will appear on your bill. (If you/your parents have a Michigan Education Trust (MET) contract, notify MET that you are attending U-M so that your account will be credited with the MET funds.)

Here are a few things you should know about financial aid and your student account:

  • Some types of aid may only be used for certain types of charges (for example, federal aid funds cannot be used to pay for orientation charges, ITCom phone bills, lost ID fees, etc.). And some aid awards can only be applied to tuition. This may mean that you have charges remaining on your account, even if you have received a refund. You are responsible for making payments to your account if a balance is still owed, even after you have received a financial aid refund. (See Terms and Conditions of Your Aid.)
  • Expenses such as books, which are included in your estimated financial aid budget, do not appear on your account statement. You will need to include them in your personal budget. 
  • Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and PLUS) payments applied to your account will be lower than the amounts listed on your award notice because the origination fees are deducted. Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans have a 1% fee with 0.5% rebate if the first 12 monthly payments are made on time, and PLUS Loans have a 4% fee with a 1.5% rebate if the first 12 monthly payments are made on time.
  • Work-Study funds do not appear on your account statement. Work-Study funds are earned by working for eligible employers and receiving paychecks. You may receive your first Work-Study paycheck after payment is due, so you will need to make sure you have other funds to pay your bill.
  • If you have a private scholarship and the scholarship check was sent to you, see our instructions for where and how to submit it to ensure that it is applied to your account.
  • If there are funds remaining in your account as a result of payments you made (including electronic payments and budget plan payments), these funds will remain in your account as a credit (overpayment) unless you contact Student Financial Services for a credit release to receive the funds.

Did you know?

  • Student Financial Services maintains a list of frequently asked questions about student accounts and billing. Check them out!
  • You can authorize a Friend Account for your parents so that they view/print your bills too. Find out how.  


(return to top of page) 


To figure out how much you owe the university, log in to Wolverine Access and look at the Account Summary in the Finances section. The total amount you owe is listed there.

To see your charges in detail, select Account Inquiry from your Student Center. The Charges Due page that opens shows a "running total" of your charges due by date. You may view individual bills by clicking on the invoice number in the Invoices Due section.

The Invoice Detail page shows the details of your monthly bill. The activity and amount due are current as of the date you review the bill and will change as payments and credits are posted to your account. You may click Print Bill to view/print a copy of your bill or Pay Now to make a payment. If you have questions about the bill, click the Help button on the page and go to Student Business Help.

For information on payment options, see below



Pending Financial Aid is the amount of aid the university expects to credit to your student account, based on your financial aid award. Because student bills are issued before financial aid funds for the semester are disbursed to student accounts, the Pending Aid entry is included on your bill so that you can see how much aid is anticipated and how much you will need to pay toward your account balance. If you are enrolled full-time and you have signed the required documents for your award (e.g., loan documents), your pending aid will appear on your first bill for the semester and will be subtracted from your total charges.  When your financial aid for the term is credited to your student account, the pending aid items will be removed. 



Payment for each term's charges is due on the date specified in the bill. Please note that you are responsible for paying any balance on your account by the due date in order to avoid receiving a $30 late fee and having a financial hold put on your account. (The financial hold prohibits release of transcripts, future registration, and the issuance of a diploma.) 

Student Financial Services accepts payments online, by email, and in person. See the Student Financial Services website for information about how to make a payment. Please note that the university does not accept credit card payments.


If you anticipate that you will have difficulty paying for a whole term's charges at once, you may want to consider one of the following options:

  • The U-M Payment Plan allows payments to be made over 5 or 10 months (for a fee). See the Student Financial Services website for more information. 
  • A variety of federal and private educational loans are available to students to help pay for college. See our Loans pages for more information.



You can use the financial planning calculator in Wolverine Access to estimate your student bills for the Fall and Winter terms before they are issued. (The bill estimator is not available for Spring/Summer bills.)

After logging in, select Campus Finances > Financial Planning Calculator. Once at the site, answer a few questions, then select Calculate Estimated Bill to see what your bill will be for Fall term. Later in the term, you will be able to estimate your Winter term bill.

If you have authorized a Friend Account for your parents or others to access your financial aid and/or student account information, they will be able to use the calculators too.

 (return to top of page)

SITE MAPDISCLAIMERFEDERAL SCHOOL CODE 002325CSS PROFILE CODE 1839© 2015 Regents University of Michigan
Office of Financial Aid * 2500 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316 * Tel 734-763-6600 * Fax 734-647-3081 *