About Master Promissory Notes
For step-by-step written instructions about Master Promissory Notes, download a PDF here.
Parents and students who are borrowing for the first time through the Direct Loan Program (also known as Stafford loans) must do online entrance counseling and complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) in order to receive their loan funds. The Master Promissory Note authorizes the university to credit the loan funds to your U-M student account for multiple years.
The person borrowing completes the Master Promissory Note: Parents for a Direct PLUS loan; graduate/professional students for Direct Grad PLUS loans; and students for a Direct Loan (subsidized or unsibsidized), Perkins, Health Professions or Nursing Loans.
When visiting either StudentLoans.gov or Wolverine Access, be sure to turn off all pop-up blockers prior to beginning the process.
Once you complete the Master Promissory Note process, you will not have to complete another MPN for the duration of your University of Michigan education. Notes: Health Professions and Nursing Loan recipients must also complete (on Wolverine Access) a Rights and Responsibilities Statement each year before disbursement. If you have previously signed a Direct Loan MPN at U-M, you do not need to sign another one to receive Direct Loan funds unless you have been out of school for one year or more. (If you sign a Master Promissory Note one year and do not want additional loans, you must decline the loan the following year or it will be paid out to you.)
For more details about each of these federal loan programs, see the links below:
|COMPLETING YOUR MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE FOR DIRECT LOANS
Before completing the MPN, be sure you have collected this information:
- A Department of Education Personal Identification Number: You will need to have a Personal Identification Number (PIN) issued from the U.S. Department of Education to complete the promissory note on the web. If you do not already have a PIN number, you should apply for one immediately. It takes up to 3 business days to receive your PIN information by email and 7-10 business days to receive it by regular mail. If you already have a PIN number, but you cannot locate it, click here. (Note that your PIN is NOT the same as the DRN number shown on your Student Aid Report.)
- Your Social Security Number
- Your permanent address and telephone number
- Your driver's license number
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers for two references
To complete your Master Promissory Note for Direct Loans online:
Sign in under Manage My Direct Loan. (If you are a new Direct Loan borrower, follow the instructions for applying for a PIN.)
After signing in, select Complete the Master Promissory Note. Select the correct type of loan note.
Be sure to select the correct name and address for the University of Michigan:
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
503 Thompson Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1340 - G02325
Review the What You Need and What to Expect sections of the website (under the Learn More menu). If you need technical assistance, click on Contact Us.
If you prefer, you may complete a paper copy of the MPN instead, but there are more steps involved before your Direct Loan can be approved and disbursed. This could cause delays in receiving your loan funds. To complete a paper MPN, sign in at studentloans.gov; then select Complete MPN to complete the MPN electronically or Print MPN to print, complete, and mail a paper MPN.
|COMPLETING MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONS, NURSING OR PERKINS
|You can complete/sign your Health Professions, Nursing or Perkins loan documents online using Wolverine Access. You will need the following items before you begin the process:
- Social Security Number
- Birth date
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers for at least two adult references who are not your parents (references must have different addresses than each other and you)
- All students MUST use the Internet Explorer web browser; otherwise, you may not be able to complete the loan documents e-signature process. Please check to be sure the loan appears as a line item on your student financial aid summary in Wolverine Access before attempting to sign the note. If the loan has been declined or canceled for any reason, you will receive an error message when trying to sign the note. If you have questions, contact our office.
- Click here for additional tips, including clearing caches and printing pages. If you need technical assistance, please call U-M Information and Technology Services at 734-764-4357.
Once you’ve gathered this information, log into the Student Business (do not use Friends and Family) section of Wolverine Access and follow these steps to complete an MPN for Health Professions, Nursing or Perkins loans:
Verify that your address and phone number are correct by selecting Addresses and Phone Numbers.
For Perkins Loans: Select Financial Aid > Select Aid Year > Loans.
For Health Professions or Nursing Loans: Select Financial Aid > Select Aid Year > Loans > eSign Loans.
Select the link to eSign your loan documents.
Follow the directions on this site to complete and electronically sign your loan documents. It is strongly recommended that you set aside sufficient time to complete the entire e-signature process in one sitting. The approximate time to complete the process is 15 minutes. Please note that some students may be required to sign more than one MPN. Completing your loan documents online is the fastest and easiest way to complete these loan documents.
If you are unable to complete the e-signature process online, you may request a paper copy of the loan documents; however, the process of signing paper loan documents takes much longer (up to three weeks) and you will not be able to access a copy of your signed loan documents online in the future. Contact your financial aid office for more information.
Note: Wolverine Access will only display a missing MPN for Perkins, Health Professions and Nursing loans; it does not display missing MPNs for Direct or Direct PLUS loans (subsidized or unsubsidized.)