• Undocumented Students at U-M

The University of Michigan encourages the application and enrollment of undocumented students who are academically excellent and accomplished in extracurricular endeavors. 

To apply to attend U-M, complete the Common Application for Undergraduate College Admission (known as the Common App, If you do not have a Social Security Number, leave the field on the Common App blank.  Visit for additional information and requirements about applying to U-M. Graduate students should contact Rackham Graduate School or your specific school of college for information about admission and financial assistance.

Detailed guidelines for qualifying for in-state tuition are available from the U-M Office of the Registrar. These guidelines provide an alternative test for establishing in-state tuition eligibility based on attendance at Michigan high schools and Michigan middle or junior high schools and matriculation at the University within 28 months of high school. For information, visit

Most financial aid, including federal, state and many institutional aid sources, requires recipients to be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens.  There is limited U-M need-based financial aid for undergraduate undocumented students who qualify for in-state tuition at U-M. Please contact the U-M Office of Financial Aid and we will assist you with the application process. Call 734-763-6600, email us at or visit our office for help.

For more information about eligible non-citizens, visit the U.S. Dept. of Education Federal Student Aid website.

If a student is a U.S. citizen but one or more parents are undocumented, contact the Office of Financial Aid to discuss your specific situation.

You may wish to visit the Private Scholarships page or the Scholarship Resources for Undocumented Students page to search for private funding opportunities. Each listing has separate criteria for individual scholarships.  Check for opportunities that may be available through your admitting school or college. In addition, the website offers background, resources and other information for undocumented students.


Following are key contacts in these areas at U-M. Contact us if we can answer additional questions:

Janet Cruz, Residency Classification Coordinator
U-M Office of the Registrar, Residency Classification Office
1210 LS&A Building, 500 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109
Tel: (734) 764-1400


Erica L. Sanders, Interim Director
U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions
1220 Student Activities Bldg., 515 E. Jefferson St.
Tel: (734) 764-7433

Financial Aid:

Vickie Crupper, Associate Director for Client Services
U-M Office of Financial Aid
2500 Student Activities Bldg., 515 E. Jefferson St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109
Tel:  (734) 763-6600


The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) presidential order of June 2012 allows certain eligible undocumented young people to request deferred action and temporary relief from deportation.

The Immigration Accountability presidential order of Nov. 20, 2014 is designed to expand DACA, allowing individuals brought to the United States as children to apply for relief and grants DACA relief for three years. This order is currently being challenged in federal courts. More from the Immigration Policy Center

Discussions continue at the federal legislative level and in some states about the DREAM Act (Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors), which would provide a pathway to citizenship for undocumented youth. 

More information about these can be found at the following websites:


SITE MAPDISCLAIMERFEDERAL SCHOOL CODE 002325CSS PROFILE CODE 1839© 2015 Regents University of Michigan
Office of Financial Aid * 2500 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316 * Tel 734-763-6600 * Fax 734-647-3081 *