Students with Child Care Expenses

Students who have young, dependent children in child care may be eligible for the U-M Child Care Subsidy Program, which provides funds to assist students with the cost of child care licensed by the state of Michigan. Students who wish to apply for the subsidy must meet several eligibility criteria and must submit both a federal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and an application for the subsidy.

On this page



To be eligible for consideration for the child care subsidy, students must:

 Be enrolled at least half-time in a University of Michigan-Ann Arbor degree program at the undergraduate, graduate, or professional level, or be enrolled in a non-degree program with a defined educational objective. Please note:

  • Students who are not in a degree program must complete a Non-Candidate for Degree Questionnaire (below).
  • Graduate students with approved detached study status may satisfy the half-time enrollment requirement. 
  • Doctoral students who are not enrolled or on detached study, but who are actively pursuing research or completing their Ph.D. dissertation, may be eligible for the subsidy if their academic pursuits are equal to at least half-time enrollment. Doctoral students should complete the Doctoral Student Non-Enrollment Certification Form, below).
  • Graduate students appointed as graduate student instructors or graduate student staff assistants should also review the child care subsidy provisions of the GEO contract (see

 Have dependent child(ren) who are 12 years old or younger or dependent child(ren) who have special needs and are under the age of 19.

 Incur child care expenses from a child care provider that is licensed by the state of Michigan. (Note: You may apply for the subsidy if you are not currently using a licensed child care provider. If you are awarded a subsidy and you are not using a licensed provider, you must change to a licensed care provider and use that provider's services for at least 75 percent of each term for which you receive the subsidy.)

 Demonstrate financial need for this subsidy (see information on eligibility, below). 

 Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress, as defined by the University of Michigan. 

 Be a single parent or, if married, have a spouse who is a student (enrolled at least half-time in an undergraduate or graduate degree program) or is gainfully employed and earning income for a minimum of 20 hours per week (a combination of school and work for 20 hours per week will be considered).

U-M will make an exception to employment criteria for a non-student spouse who cannot work due to a disability. Please note this on your application so your situation may be considered during review. You may be asked to document your spouse's employment or student status. Click here for an explanation of why the university requires spouses to be in school or employed.

Note: If you do not meet eligibility criteria for the Child Care Subsidy Program but believe you have an extenuating circumstance, please advise us and offer details.

(return to top of page)


 Complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal processor (U.S. citizens and permanent residents only). Be sure to list Federal School Code 002325 so that a copy will be sent to U-M.  Note: International students should not complete the FAFSA but should see Step 2c below. 

Note:  If you have already submitted this year’s FAFSA to apply for financial aid, do NOT submit it again.


a.  The appropriate Child Care Subsidy Application (below)  (If you received the Child Care Subsidy during Fall/Winter terms and want it for Spring/Summer, you must submit a new application.)

b.  Copies of your and your spouse's signed previous-year federal income tax returns (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, or Form 8843) or a Non-Filing Statement (below). (Submit the Non-Filing Statement if you/your spouse were not required to submit tax returns based on IRS income requirements.)

c.  International students only: Submit both the Child Care Subsidy Application and an International Student Financial Data Form. (International students should not complete the FAFSA.) Note that the International Student Financial Data Form requires the submission of tax return information.

Note:  If you previously submitted any of these forms to apply for financial aid, do NOT submit them again.

 (return to top of page)


For Fall/Winter: Students are encouraged to apply by April 30 for the following fall. Notification will be sent to eligible applicants beginning July 1. This will allow you adequate time to plan and make your child care arrangements. Students who apply after April 30 may be denied funding if all funds have been committed to applicants who applied earlier.

For Spring/Summer: Students are encouraged to apply by March 15. Notification will be sent to eligible applicants in April.  This will allow you adequate time to plan and make your child care arrangements. Funding for Spring and Summer terms may be limited. Applicants will be funded on a first-come, first-served basis. Students who apply after March 15 may be denied funding if all funds have been committed to applicants who applied earlier.

 (return to top of page)

child care blocks

The amount of Child Care Subsidy awarded to eligible applicants is based on applicants' financial need, the number of children they have enrolled in licensed Michigan child care facilities, their child care expenses, and available funding. Applicants will be notified in writing of their eligibility for the subsidy and the amount they will receive. 
The subsidy amount cannot exceed the cost
of your licensed child care

Maximum Awards

  • For one child, award maximum is $2,430 per term ($1,215 per half-term for Spring or Summer).
  • For two children, award maximum is $3,564 per term ($1,782 per half-term for Spring or Summer).
  • For three or more children, award maximum is $4,690 per term ($2,345 per half term for Spring or Summer).

Maximums for 2015-2016 will be posted as available

A term is Fall term, Winter term, or Spring/Summer term (the combined Spring half-term and Summer half-term).



You must demonstrate financial need to be eligible for the Child Care Subsidy program.  Financial need is calculated as follows:

             Estimated Cost of Attendance
          – Expected Family Contribution/Available Resources
          = Demonstrated Financial Need

Estimated Cost of Attendance: This estimated amount includes tuition, fees, an allowance for books and supplies, a reasonable allowance for living expenses, and child care expenses as reported on the Child Care Subsidy Application.

Expected Family Contribution/Available Resources: The Office of Financial Aid calculates your expected family contribution based on your Child Care Subsidy Application, your tax returns, and the FAFSA or International Student Financial Data Form. The calculation is based on such items as your earnings; checking, savings, cash, and money market accounts; investments and real estate holdings other than your family's primary residence; business equity; untaxed income; income from assistantships; and other financial aid you are receiving through your academic department and the Office of Financial Aid.

(return to top of page)


Funds are disbursed through the University Payroll System in the form of a check payable to you or, if you have authorized direct deposit (click on Direct Deposit from the Student Business page of Wolverine Access), funds will be deposited to your bank account.

A copy of a child care contract or other documents verifying your child care expenses and your provider's state licensure will be required prior to disbursement of funds.




U-M Office of Financial Aid forms

Academic year*

Academic year**

International Student Financial Data Form  2014-15 2015-16
Ph.D Student Non-Enrollment Certification Form  2014-15 2015-16
Submitting Federal Income Tax Return/Non-Filing Statement  2014-15 2015-16
Non-Filing Statement (Non-U.S. citizens)  2014-15 2015-16
Non-Candidate for Degree Questionnaire  2014-15 2015-16
Household Information Questionnaire  2014-15 2015-16
Dependent Child(ren) Questionnaire  2014-15 2015-16

* Fall 2014, Winter 2015 and Spring/Summer 2015 terms are included in the 2014-15 year.
**Fall 2015, Winter 2016 and Spring/Summer 2016 are included in the 2015-16 year. Forms will be available March 1.


If you need assistance completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or if you have questions about the Child Care Subsidy, staff members in the Office of Financial Aid can assist you. You may also visit this page for Frequently Asked Questions about the U-M Child Care Subsidy Program.

 (return to top of page)


SITE MAPDISCLAIMERFEDERAL SCHOOL CODE 002325CSS PROFILE CODE 1839© 2015 Regents University of Michigan
Office of Financial Aid * 2500 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316 * Tel 734-763-6600 * Fax 734-647-3081 *