New Undergraduates

If you think you may need financial help to attend the University of Michigan, we encourage you to apply for financial aid using the guidelines below.  We use information from both parents, regardless of marital status, when considering eligibility for U-M grants.

You may apply for financial aid before being accepted or enrolling at U-M. 

On this page



 The FAFSA: To apply for federal student aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using U-M's federal code 002325. The FAFSA is available on Jan. 1 each year at no cost to students. You will be considered for Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, Perkins Loan and Federal Direct Loans as well as the Michigan Competitive Scholarship, Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver, Health Professional Loan, Nursing Student Loan and Work-Study awards. 

 The PROFILE: If you also wish to be considered for institutional grant aid from U-M and/or institutional merit scholarships (many institutional scholarships also require the demonstration of need), complete the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE using U-M's CSS code 1839 to ensure that we receive your PROFILE. The PROFILE is available on Oct. 1 each year.

  • There is a cost associated with the PROFILE. Many students will receive an automatic fee waiver offer from the College Board when providing their income information. U-M does not wish to create a burden to families who are unable to submit a PROFILE. Please contact our office to request a fee waiver if you are financially unable to submit this application and are not offered the automatic fee waiver from the College Board. You must request this waiver before you submit the PROFILE. We are unable to reimburse families who request the waiver after submission. 
  • If you will be classified as an independent undergraduate student, you need only complete the FAFSA and not the PROFILE. Definition of an independent student.
About Wolverine Access: This is a quick, convenient way for students and prospective students to access password-protected personal University information, including financial aid documents, award notices and student account statements. For more about using Wolverine Access and viewing your documents, visit this information page.

Some students and families may be required to submit additional documents to be considered for need-based U-M grants and scholarships. These can include supplemental forms, copies of tax returns or other pertinent materials. When this is required, we will contact you by email. Simply sign in to Wolverine Access ( to view a list of needed documents.

The deadline for submitting these documents is June 1. Mail, fax, email or bring copies of these documents to our office. Please note the student’s 8-digit UMID number on all forms. We accept documents in several ways:

  • In person at our office or by mail (Office hours, address and locations)
  • Via fascimile at 734-647-3081
  • Email attachment in PDF, JPG or TIFF format (limit 25MB file size)
  • Note: We cannot access cloud-based documents such as Google Docs or similar applications. Also, we do not subscribe to the College Board IDOC (Institutional Documentation Service) program, so do not upload your documents there. 

If you have questions about this process, please contact us



If you are applying to attend U-M beginning in the Fall Term, complete the current year FAFSA and CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE when you apply for admission.

April 30:   Priority Deadline. The U-M Office of Financial Aid must receive a valid FAFSA and PROFILE to consider you for all aid programs. Use estimated tax information, if necessary. Give yourself plenty of time to apply so that the we receive your records on time.

Rejected FAFSA:  If your FAFSA is rejected by the federal processor, you may miss the April 30 priority deadline. The most common reason for FAFSA rejection is missing required signatures.  Sign the FAFSA and have both parents sign if you are a dependent student. If you are an independent student applying for the Health Professions Loan, one parent must also sign. 

May 1:  Pay enrollment deposit to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

June 1:  Deadline to submit additional documents to be considered for need-based U-M grants and scholarships. Sign in to Wolverine Access to view a list of needed documents. (Note: U-M does not participate in the College Board IDOC (Institutional Documentation Service) program; do NOT upload your documents through IDOC). 


If you are applying to attend U-M beginning Winter term, complete the current year FAFSA and CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE at the time you apply for admission.

 Complete and submit a current-year Free Application for Federal Student Aid using federal code 002325 and CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE using U-M's CSS code 1839. 

 We must receive your FAFSA record from the federal processor and your PROFILE application from the College Board (if you are applying for institutional grants and scholarships) by Jan. 15, 2016. Allow three to four weeks for processing.  We will notify you by email if we need additional documents or information; these materials must be submitted within 30 days of notification.

 If you have filed a FAFSA, but not requested that the results be sent to UM-Ann Arbor (School Code 002325), visit and select "Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA" or call 1-800-4-FEDAID.


If you are a first-time, dependent undergraduate planning to attend U-M beginning Spring or Summer terms, we must receive aid application materials for Spring/Summer and the coming Fall/Winter terms to process your aid. This includes the FAFSA, PROFILE, plus any additional documents requested by our office. Deadline dates are as follows:

  Complete and submit the 2015-16 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (use federal code 002325) and the 2015-16 CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE (Use U-M's CSS code 1839). To be considered for all aid programs, we must receive your FAFSA record and your PROFILE application (to be considered for institutional grants and scholarships) by April 30.

 Complete and submit the 2014-15 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (use federal code 002325). We must receive your FAFSA record and all supplemental documents requested by May 10 for Spring Term and June 15 for Summer Term. 

Special notes to Spring/Summer admits:

  • First-time students DO NOT submit a Spring/Summer Request for Funds, which is used only by continuing students.
  • Do not wait to be admitted before applying for aid. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office.
  • Bridge Students: If you will start at U-M in the Summer Bridge Program, visit the Bridge web page for additional information specific to that program.

 Are you a continuing student? Follow the application process for Spring/Summer on our Current Undergraduates page.



Students are considered for most scholarships and do not need to apply for them separately. We encourage you to apply for admission early to receive equal consideration with other applicants. Once admitted, visit the My Scholarship Profile on Wolverine Access and complete it to ensure that you are considered for all scholarships. To be considered for scholarships that are awarded to students with financial need, you must also apply for financial aid.

You might also be eligible for scholarships from other sources. We encourage you to explore and apply for any scholarships for which you are eligible. U-M schools, colleges, and departments administer their own scholarships and some may require separate applications. For more information, contact the financial aid offices of the individual schools and colleges or your academic department.


Conduct your search for private scholarships from September to June of your senior year in high school. See our private scholarships page for more information about where to look for scholarships that might be available to you. 


 (return to top of page)


SITE MAPDISCLAIMERFEDERAL SCHOOL CODE 002325CSS PROFILE CODE 1839© 2015 Regents University of Michigan
Office of Financial Aid * 2500 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316 * Tel 734-763-6600 * Fax 734-647-3081 *