Graduate Students
Financial aid for graduate students is more limited than that available to undergraduates. The majority of the graduate student aid administered by the Office of Financial Aid is in the form of loan and Work-Study programs. The U-M School of Business, Dental School D.D.S. Program, Law School, and Medical School have their own financial aid offices and/or representatives, and students should contact them directly for financial aid information.  Undocumented graduate students should contact Rackham Graduate School or your specific school or college for information about admission and financial assistance.
See detailed information below about the various types of aid available, or download a Graduate Student Financial Aid Programs flier here.
The Office of Financial Aid administers only a few scholarship, grant, and fellowship programs for graduate students (see the U-M Office of Financial Aid Scholarship Listing). The primary source of information about such programs is the U-M school, college, or department in which you are enrolled or plan to enroll and the Rackham Graduate School. Deadlines for graduate awards vary.  Because many deadlines occur early in the academic year, it is important to obtain information and application materials as early as possible.
  • Rackham Graduate School Fellowships: Rackham Graduate School administers a number of fellowships and coordinates fellowship competitions. Information on these programs, as well as a variety of departmental and non-university programs, is available from the Rackham Graduate School.
  • Students should also seek out private scholarships whenever possible; see our Private Scholarships page.

Graduate students who apply for financial aid are considered for the following federal loan and Work-Study programs:

With the exception of the unsubsidized Stafford Loan, all of these programs are awarded based on financial need. Students who don’t qualify for need-based aid may be awarded the unsubsidized Stafford Loan. For more information about these loans, please see the Loans section of this website or select one of the links above for information specific to your program.

Federal Work-Study is a financial aid program that provides funds for part-time jobs for students, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. A percentage of students’ earnings is paid through federal funds, and the remainder is paid by the student's employer. For more information see Work-Study & Other Jobs.

Graduate students may also apply separately for Federal Direct PLUS loans or private education loans


U-M offers a payment plan that allows students to pay their bills in installments. See Student Financial Services for information about the U-M installment payment plan


Prospective students : Complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We must receive your valid FAFSA from the federal processor no later than April 30 to consider you for aid for the following academic year. Applying before this date ensures that you will be considered for all aid programs for which you are eligible. Be sure to allow time for any corrections that might be needed to your FAFSA so we receive it in a timely manner. If you are entering Spring/Summer terms, complete a FAFSA for the current year (for example, students starting their academic program in Spring/Summer 2015 would complete a 2014-15 FAFSA).

Current students:  Follow the instructions found here, which include information for applying for aid for Fall/Winter terms as well as links to the Requst for Funds application for Spring/Summer terms.

Note to graduate students on detached study: Detached study semesters will count as the equivalent of 8 credit hours attempted and completed when calculating both pace and 150 percent of program length completion.


Reduction in a student’s financial aid package after an award has been made can occur for a variety of reasons. Common reasons include: Receipt of additional resources from either a non-University donor of a University department, a change in the family’s financial data reported to our office, receipt of a GSI/RA appointment or less-than-full-time enrollment.

The Office of Financial Aid is required to consider all funding sources when looking at aid eligibility including departmental scholarships, outside fellowships and GSRA/GSI tuition waiver amounts. Total financial aid cannot exceed a student's cost of attendance, or budget. This includes tuition, fees and allowances for books/supplies, food, renSince the Office of Financial Aid is often unaware of GSRA/GSI appointments until they are processed by University Human Resources, they can reduce federal aid when added to a student's resources. We monitor all financial aid on a daily basis and adjust it, as required.

(return to top of page)


SITE MAPDISCLAIMERFEDERAL SCHOOL CODE 002325CSS PROFILE CODE 1839© 2015 Regents University of Michigan
Office of Financial Aid * 2500 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316 * Tel 734-763-6600 * Fax 734-647-3081 *