Current Undergraduates
Continuing students must reapply for financial aid each year. If you applied for financial aid the previous year, the Office of Financial Aid will notify you by email in early February that it is time to reapply. If you do not receive information about how to apply and you have questions, contact us in mid-February. 

On this page


Obtaining Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans

U-M has implemented a different process for Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans for some undergraduate students. If you do not receive these loans in your financial aid package and want them, complete an online tutorial detailing your cumulative student loan debt and what it will cost to incur additional debt. Those registering for Spring-Summer terms who want federal loans will do online counseling and meet with an aid officer. This change does not affect graduate or professional students.

Details can be found at

To reapply for aid, all continuing students must complete a new FAFSA. Returning students do not complete a new CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE  if they have submitted one in the past.

 Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)   
Complete the FAFSA online using your Dept. of Education Personal Identification Number (PIN). 
It is important to list your full, correct name, your correct Social Security number and to information from the correct federal income tax return (1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040). Also, be sure to include your housing plans and list Federal School Code 002325, to send results to the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. If you don't have a PIN, request one at  For a paper copy of the FAFSA call 1-800-4-FEDAID or visit
If income taxes are filed, students and parents may be prompted to transfer IRS data directly to their FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. Visit for details.  (If you are waiting to file your taxes, do not wait to file the FAFSA. Use estimates and return to amend the FAFSA once taxes are filed.)
Special notes:

Parental Information and Signatures

You must supply parental data and a parent signature if either of the following applies to you:

  • You are a dependent student
  • You are a dental or pharmacy student who is applying for a Health Professions loan

If you are completing the FAFSA online, we recommend that one of your parents sign the FAFSA using his/her own PIN (parents may apply for a PIN at If you do not provide correct parental data or all required signatures, your FAFSA will be rejected, which could jeopardize your eligibility for aid.

If you think you might be considered an independent student, please click here to see the definition of an independent student to determine whether you must complete parental information on the FAFSA.


  Update your scholarship information on Wolverine Access

 Visit My Scholarship Profile to complete or update your profile when you reapply for financial aid, and update it regularly throughout the year. Just log in to Wolverine Access and select My Scholarship Profile in the Campus Finances section. Completing your scholarship profile does not mean you qualify for the scholarships, but it ensures that you will be in the pool for consideration for all scholarships for which you are eligible. For more information, see the My Scholarship Profile page.
APRIL 30: The Office of Financial Aid must receive your processed FAFSA from the federal processor by April 30 in order to consider you for all federal and institutional financial aid. We recommend applying early; allow 3-4 weeks for processing, and remember that if your FAFSA is rejected for any reason, your application will not be processed and you will need time to resolve the problem before the deadline. You may submit your FAFSA after April 30, but if you miss this deadline the types of available financial aid may be limited.

If you are asked to submit additional application documents:

  • Check Wolverine Access to see what supplemental documents are needed. We must receive them by June 1. (The sooner we receive them, the sooner we can send an Award Notice. Award Notices for continuing students are typically issued beginning in June. )
  • Send your documents by fax, email or upload them through our website.
  • Find these supplemental forms on our Forms page.
  • If we request additional documents, they are required even if you imported information from your federal tax return to your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.

A note about GoogleDocs and other documents stored in the cloud: Please do not share cloud documents with our office email address ( This is a group email account and we are unable access documents. Send us an attachment at the address above or upload through our website.

The Office of Financial Aid will send you an email if you must submit additional application items for verification purposes (such as tax returns, a Household Information Questionnaire, etc.).  You can also check Wolverine Access (Student tab > Student Business > Login > Student Center > Financial Aid > (select appropriate Aid Year) > Documents/Review) to see if you must submit additional documents.  If you are asked to submit additional application documents, we must receive these items by June 1 to consider you for all aid programs. 




(return to top of page)

To apply for Spring/Summer aid, complete a Spring/Summer Request for Funds (see forms and deadlines below). Note that you must be registered at least half-time for Spring/Summer classes at UM-Ann Arbor in order to receive financial aid. See this note regarding changes to procedure for federal Direct Loans.
Example:  If you are applying for 2015 Spring/Summer Aid and have already submitted a 2014-2015 FAFSA for Fall/Winter aid, do not submit another FAFSA when applying. (If you did NOT submit a 2014-2015 FAFSA, you must file one to be considered for Spring/Summer 2015 aid. The Office of Financial Aid might ask for additional materials as your application is reviewed.)
Deadlines for Spring/Summer financial aid and application materials are posted each February. In general, the deadlines follow the schedule below (specific deadlines are offered as they become available each year). If you are undecided about attending Spring/Summer terms, apply for financial aid. There is no penalty.
Priority Deadline: March 27, 2015 -- The Office of Financial Aid must receive your processed FAFSA from the federal processor by this date in order to consider you for all available aid programs. You may apply after the priority deadline, but available funding will be limited. Award notification begins in April for students registered at least half-time for Spring and/or Summer.
Spring Term aid applications will not be considered after: June 5, 2015 Summer Term and Combined Spring/Summer Term aid applications will not be considered after: July 31, 2015.  The Office of Financial Aid will be unable to process Spring/Summer applications submitted after these dates. You must visit our office and speak directly to an aid officer for further assistance.
Application materials 
If you are in a Social Work practicum or applying for a Spring/Summer TEACH Grant download the necessary PDF form below, complete it and submit to the Office of Financial Aid in addition to filling out the RFF form.

If you are studying abroad, do not fill out an Request for Funds (RFF) form. Download and complete:

If you have received aid such as departmental awards or private scholarships, which comes from sources other than the Office of Financial Aid, it is your responsibility to find out when to reapply for the funds and what the application requirements and deadlines are for those aid programs. Contact the source or organization that awarded the funds to you.


SITE MAPDISCLAIMERFEDERAL SCHOOL CODE 002325CSS PROFILE CODE 1839© 2015 Regents University of Michigan
Office of Financial Aid * 2500 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316 * Tel 734-763-6600 * Fax 734-647-3081 *