• How to Apply for Aid
If you think you might need financial assistance to attend the University of Michigan, we encourage you to apply for financial aid by the deadline dates listed on this website. To find out how, follow the drop-down links on the How to Apply for Aid menu above (or click on a link in the menu at right), which address specific situations for prospective students, undergraduate and graduate students, those transferring from another college and other special situations. You may apply for aid before you accept admission or enroll.
If you have questions about the process, please contact us
at any time.
Below is a playlist of videos produced by U.S. Department of Education's office of Federal Student Aid, featuring college students explaining how they paid for their college education. Watch one or all of them to get tips for applying for assistance for your college career.
|TIPS FOR A SMOOTH APPLICATION PROCESS
- Apply for aid early, read everything the Office of Financial Aid sends to you, and respond quickly to requests for additional documents, as needed. To be considered for all financial aid programs for which you are eligible, apply by the application deadlines.
- Keep copies of your applications and materials and maintain a file with other important papers.
- We encourage you to get an email account if you don’t have one. The university communicates with students via email, and it is the easiest way to receive important information from us and other campus offices. You may request information by regular mail, but you will need to contact us each time there is something you need.
- After you have been admitted and you have a username and password for Wolverine Access, use it to:
• Keep your current (local) and permanent contact information up-to-date. Important notices for current U-M students will be sent to umich e-mail accounts.
• Keep track of your submitted documents and your financial aid disbursements.
- If you have questions, send us an email, call, or visit OFA to talk with a financial aid counselor. Click here for office hours and location.